Cultured marble is a blend of stone particles and resins that is combined with pigments to produce a wide range of colors and realistic, natural looking patterns – cultured marble, cultured granite, and cultured onyx among them. Unlike quarried stone, cultured marble is cast in molds to create specific pieces such as bathtubs, sinks, countertops, backsplashes, moldings and trim, shower walls and shower pans.
The molds are lined with a special gel coat that bonds to the mixture, creating a very hard, transparent surface. After the pieces have cured, they are removed from the molds and polished to shine or given a honed, matte finish, depending on customer preference.
Because cultured products are cast, there are numerous options in terms of size, shape and edge treatments. And, the final product is nonporous, meaning need to seal year after year and no grout lines to clean or maintain. Just imagine swapping out a tiled shower for a grout-free option and the low-maintenance advantage of cultured marble becomes very clear!
Majestic Kitchen and Bath Creations’ cultured marble division is one of the largest in the country, with highly skilled fabricators ready to create customized products on-site.
Used most often in bathrooms, clients appreciate the fact that cultured marble is:
- Beautiful – Veining and patterns can be incorporated during the casting process, creating character, depth and interest that mimics its natural counterpart.
- Low Maintenance – Cultured marble never needs to be sealed and is easy to clean with non-abrasive products.
- Durable – Cultured marble is non-porous, making it extremely tough and resistant to stains, mildew and chips.
- Economical – In general, cultured marble is less expensive to fabricate and install than slab marble, but will increase the overall value of a home just as natural stone products will.
- Customizable – Because it is a cast product, cultured marble offers a wide range of color options and pieces can be shaped to fit your specific needs and decor.