Selecting the Right Product
Selecting the right surface for your building application comes down to more than preference and cost. The countertop and customizations you select can significantly impact installation timeline and the design and functionality of the space.
Below are some of the key considerations that impact cost, aesthetics, and timelines when choosing surfaces for commercial and multi-family spaces.
- DESIRED FEATURES
- PRODUCT AVAILABILITY
- FIELD INSTALLATION ISSUES
- CUSTOMIZATIONS (EDGES, MITERING, ETC.)
- CLIENT DESIGN SPECFICATIONS & BRAND GUIDELINES
Many builders focus on selecting the right product for your application. But that’s just the first step. Supply chain and field issues – from late contractors to site access – can cause chaos and delays to your process. That leads to dissatisfied customers for you.
Here are some of the field issues that can impact your installation cost and timeline.
Limited site accessibility (including building or site entry, downtown locations, and parking)
- Work in high-rise building
- Limited elevators or use of main elevators
- Limited or out-of-way locations to store containers and equipment during construction
- Limited hours (including local restrictions and tenant hours)
- Security (including badged sites and need for background checks)
- Short (2-4 hour) field measurement or installation window
- Faster turnaround
- Change orders
- Large volumes
- Flexible timeline / installation schedule changes
FIELD TEAM REQUIREMENTS
- Premium installation crew
- Special training, skills, or certifications needed
- Vaccination status or other health checks
- Multi-lingual crews
- Background checks
A surface supplier often bids a straight, stocked, tier 1 top with no mitering, assuming full site access and plenty of fabrication time.
That’s why it’s important to specify not just the product, but also an installer with documented production and project management processes, backup production facilities, and industry certification. See a sample specification.
START BY CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRODUCT FOR YOUR PROJECT
Take a look at our Product Comparison Chart to learn more about the best materials for your project.